JOB VACANCY: Recruitment of a Media Editor in Chief
POST TITLE: PPIMA Media Editor in Chief
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Monday, 12 October 2020 at 4:00 p.m
DUTY STATION: Kigali, Rwanda
LENGTH OF CONTRACT: Three (3) months, (renewable based on level of performance and availability of funding)
START DATE: As soon as possible
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: 21 September 2020
PAX PRESS is a Non Governmental Organization legally registered, determined to create a professional and credible independent media that is capable of promoting informed and active citizens who are capable of engaging in matters of public interest. PAX PRESS is keen at promoting democracy and good governance through coverage, deep analysis and reporting on the implementation of policies at decentralized levels of administrative governance. PAX PRESS supports citizens in expressing their own opinions and interests to be raised with decision-makers/service-providers. PAX PRESS organizes community debates / public dialogues with citizens and decision-makers on emerging issues related to policies, laws and government programs.
With funding from the Norwegian People’s Aid through the Public Policy Information Monitoring and Advocacy (PPIMA), PAX PRESS is seeking a PPIMA Media Editor in Chief who will be responsible for the implementation of the project “Promoting citizens’ participation, public accountability and transparency through the media“. The PPIMA Media Editor in Chief works closely with and reports to the PPIMA Media Coordinator on all matters related to the execution of his/her duties as spelt out in the job description.
- Handle the overall editing responsibilities, (print, Internet, radio), control the content (authenticity and relevancy to the topic), language, (grammar and content flow), and aesthetics, (photos, images, sound, audio), of the articles or documents and approve all the content for publishing;
- Cross checking the facts, spellings, grammar, writing style, design pages, photos
- Conduct team (journalists) meetings on a regular basis, which will keep the team members
- Assign responsibilities to all team members and ensure that they are completed on
- Handle Audience’s complaints and explain and account for
- Set and implement the ethical standards.
- Plan and monitor project implementation according to work plans and results framework
- Work together with colleagues and partners to identify and address any risks or challenges arising in programme
- Provide support to partners’ initiatives for research and advocacy
- Promote collaboration and complementarity among partners
- Undertake systematic follow up of conclusions and recommendations made by assessments, reviews, evaluations
- Ensure good team communication and manage clear work planning in the project team on a weekly and monthly
- Contribute to development of proposals and reports in collaboration with M&E and the PPIMA Media Coordinator
- University degree preferably in Journalism/Communications, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations or any other related field from a recognized
- At least Five years of progressively responsible work as editor in print or
- Familiar with the Rwandan media landscape;
- Strong knowledge of Media related laws and in Rwanda;
- Demonstrated diplomacy and lobbying skills;
- Experience in networking with partners at all levels (ministry, donors, private sector, NGOs);
- Ability to work under minimum supervision to meet deadlines;
- Good analytical and practical skills in the elaboration of capacity building programs;
- Expertise and experience in designing and coordination of projects;
- Strong management skills including the ability to provide strategic guidance, technical oversight, mentor staff, build strong teams, develop work plans, and manage budgets and project expenditures;
- Proven written, analytical, presentation and reporting skills;
- A minimum of 4 years’ professional experience in a comparable Work experience in the area of communication, press, information or similar field with development agencies, … will be considered an asset;
- Very good written and oral knowledge of Kinyarwanda and Knowledge of French would be considered as an advantage.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Pro-active and open personality with good communication skills
- Politeness and helpfulness in dealing with visitors
- Good working knowledge and experience of ITC technologies (phone, email, internet, and other communication-related software) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed
- Mastering Rwandan media context
- Adhere to PAX PRESS working
- The PPIMA Media Editor in Chief shall be recruited under a Service Contract Appointment.
Desirable skills: Hard working, able to vary quality of the writers, the differences in writing styles and the myriad subject topics and proven written, analytical, presentation and reporting skills and demonstrated computing skills.
HOW TO APPLY
An application letter should be addressed to PAX PRESS National Coordination to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than Monday, 12 October 2020 at 4:00 p.m. (Kigali time). Applications must contain:
- A letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae, (including at least names, telephone numbers or email addresses of 2 referees),
- Supporting documents providing proof of educational background and professional
The email containing all supporting documents should clearly mention “PPIMA Media Editor in Chief “.
The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file.
- Candidates who have not submitted the required supporting documents will not be
- Only shortlisted candidates meeting the required qualifications will be contacted for
- Candidates will be requested to show the original documents before any final decision is
Ø “Qualified Female Candidates are especially encouraged to submit applications”.
Done at Kigali, on 21 September 2020